Tuesday 19 January 2010

Apple in China

I'll no doubt be doing a video on this topic when I get back to the UK (seen as YouTube has been blocked here). In the meantime, i'll give you a rundown of some of things (the old fashioned way) which i've seen (in relation to Apple) in the past few days here in China.

Before coming to China, I thought Apple would be well known here and that a lot of people would be using Apple machines here in China. One may question why I think this way. Its simple. Apple machines and accessories are all made in Shanghai (China) - about a two hour drive away from here in 'Ningbo' (or 27 minutes by air). I have been to three computer markets (whom house between 400 vendors) - I have only seen two Apple resellers. And the prices aren't cheap. The iPod Shuffles are cheaper by possibly £4-£6 but the actual computers are much more expensive. Lenovo, Thinkpad and HP are BIG here in this part of China. They're well marketed around the city. Its guaranteed that you will spot at least 4-5 people, carrying a new laptop box when walking around for 5 minutes. I've also noticed that these two resellers carry local branded iPhone cases and accessories (not Incase, Rebel Scholar etc). If you were to visit an Apple Retail store in the UK or a resellers (PCWorld), you would see big and well known brands such as Incase, Mophie etc. In China, they depend heavily on the local market.

I would have loved to see genuine Apple accessories and parts at a reduced rate, I would have no doubt purchased a few things to make the most of the exchange rates.

I've also seen other cool Apple accessories (not genuine, local made) but are very cool to have and are cheap as chips. For example, I picked up an 'Apple' webcam for around £4. Its a decent quality webcam. I also have put in an order for an Apple hard drive. Thats correct. An Apple hard drive. The packaging is VERY SIMILAR to Apple. It even has the 'made in cupertino' sticker and serial number on it lol. I wish I could upload a picture to show you guys but the law is such that I can't. I ofcourse will do the unboxings etc as soon as I get back.

I've yet to spot someone with a Macbook or an Apple machine, whereas every other person has an iPhone. The iPhone is huge in China, its expensive but I presume thats because its unlocked. I've spoken to many local businesses whom are proud iPhone owners and they state that they got their iPhones months ago (before the official launch in China a few months back). They state its best to get it unlocked (from Hong Kong) as they can choose their own carrier (i.e. not locked to AT&T).

If you've been to China and seen cool Apple stores or accessories, be sure to let me know via commenting or @i6laswegian (twitter).


iGlaswegian.com
20th January 2010

3 comments:

  1. Who are you? You have a website like you are somebody important. You seem like a nice guy...but what do you do? You want people in Hong Kong to "hook up with you"? WHY? What are you?

    No disrespect...but the internet apparently makes nobodies feel like they are somebodies.

    Why would we follow you....?

    Who are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet another "anoyonmous" internet schmuck who deems it necessary to ridicule via the "interwebz". Good one, 'nony. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This coming from someone who can't spell "anonymous" properly. Tosser.

    ReplyDelete