Friday 22 October 2010

Macbook Air (Oct 2010) Geekbench Scoring, Speed Tests & General Thoughts




General thoughts:

Been using this machine for the past few hours. As it happens, i've got my feet up on the couch and got this on the lap. Its surprising how light this machine is. Seriously. I couldn't do the same with my 15" Macbook Pro. Nor could I be typing this on the iPad as im not a big fan of typing an essay on the iPad. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, better than the MBP. The black border is.... wait for it..... making zero difference to me, despite the uproar amongst some users.

This happens to be my first SSD based drive and im surprised how zippy it is. Really making me think I should get one for the MBP (that or either keeping this MBA for myself lol).

2 gripes I have so far, and I knew this would be the case before buying:
1) RAM is not upgradeable
2) No backlit keyboard

I'd happily pay Apple to make the MBA slightly thicker and have both of the above in. I can kind of see it from a business POV that this type of machine is not a type of product you want to be using modding etc (this is where the MB and MBP step in). But then again, backlit keyboards are crucial for travellers IMO. Anything which is going to make the experience better is good. Imagine typing on the plane (night flight) and having to switch on the overhead light. Its just an added stress. *annoyed*. Would have bought an MBA for myself if they had this backlit keyboard, no doubt.

Will keep you updated on any further developments on YouTube.

10 comments:

  1. i would like to see modern games like medal of honor tier 1 and mafia 2 and even modern warfare2. i would also like to see bootcamp on it using windows xp or 7. i need your help because i need a new laptop and im thinking of making the switch to apple but i like playing those games so a laptop must play those games at least without no lag on low. if you could help me out that would be awesome bro! if you dont want to do a video please email me at joncumplido@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya that would be very helpful info

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you could make a video about gaming on it with modern games using bootcamp that would be awesom

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love mafia2. will it work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will check it out guys but bare in mind, in any case, I wouldn't recommend playing intense games on this machine. Or on any computer for that fact. I would rather you spend it on a MBA for all your computing needs AND investing in an Xbox or PS3... where the gaming experience is better. I know its not the answer your looking for but hey - just what my personal opinion on the topic. Im a huge MW2 fan, I could easily play it on my iMac and Macbook Pro... but knowing that gaming is MUCH better on a console, I keep my Xbox for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,
    could you try using Logic Studio on the MBA and do a video review on how it run?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Logic Studio is what I also would like to see, I am very interested about how well it would run. Would be super if you could create a video about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was just wondering if it works. i do a little traveling and i do like to play games on my xbox but i was just wondering if it can be done on the macbook air because it would make my traveling seem... less boring. i have seen that you have done a little gaming in the older games but i have no idea if its on bootcamp using windows 7 or what.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, dont you think that macbook air SSD drive will not last very much is it has a lot of use? won't a virtual machine or so trash the disc quickly ?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete