Thursday 22 October 2009

iMac or MB/MBP ?

I get a lot of questions on which system one should opt for when purchasing a Mac. Yes, its a very complex decision (I still remember when I was getting my first machine in late October 2008 - I admit, I was constantly trying to satisfy myself and then changing my mind lol).

I am not going to waste much time - here's the answer to the most FAQ in my PM box.

My recommendation would be for you to get a Macbook over the iMac. Here's why:

1) Macbooks are the 'best selling' range of Apple Computers. This essentially means that consumers of Apple systems PREFER the portability factor. This also means that when you sell it a few years or months down the line - there will be greater interest from people, hence, a better value over a desktop machine.

2) You can always get an external monitor and hook your MBP up to it - which is even better than a desktop as it gives you the option of dual display.

3) Portability - you have freedom to do what you want. Lie down in bed and use it, take it to different rooms, different locations... all without any hassle.

4) In the event your machine stops working or you need to get work done on it at the Apple Store - the Macbook/MBP will be easier for you to carry easily and safely in-store. The last thing you want to be doing is carrying a huge box with a computer on it - and if your using public transport, its even worse.

So in essence, your going to have a lot more flexibility with the Macbook or Macbook Pro route.

Enjoy.


Happy days

2 comments:

  1. You moron the new Macbook does not have fire wire, maybe a Macbookpro would be Ok... but that is my opinion .... I think the 27" imac would be a good choice due to the LED screen that is what you look at but having said that maybe Mac should have put a second 800 firewire port as well as a eSata port on these uits ... well at least on the quads as having two 800 ports one of them could be downgraded to FW 400 for all the people who have invested in FW 400 externals
    There I have said my peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous - you arsewipe. Not everyone needs a firewire, heck I havent used it for the year ive had it.

    ReplyDelete